Function syntax

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat May 21 10:46:38 PDT 2011

On May 21, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

> Alex,
>
> That is not what I wrote at all because I didn't write the "it could be better".

It could be shorter.

> The analogy that Nathan was making does not apply to JavaScript. He
> wrote that C# delegates were not popular in C# 2.0. Functions are
> already popular in JavaScript.

Because there's no alternative. C# had alternatives including classes.

Saying JS has function expressions that are wildly popular is jumping to a conclusion. JS is "popular" in that it's the only built-in browser language, but let's say it is popular on its own these days (NodeJS, e.g.).

It still does not follow that function expressions are popular enough that shorter syntax would not make the language more usable for enough developers that shorter syntax is worth adding.

/be