Function syntax

François REMY fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr
Sat May 21 10:44:44 PDT 2011

I personnaly agree that "it works, we don't need to change
it" is a bad pattern, but you still have to prove your propo-
sal is really better. Based on the number of mails we have
seen in this mailing list saying they didn't want to see this
implemented as-is, I think we can say it is (or, at least, we
can't say there'sn't something even better).

BTW, it's not because they introduced the arrow syntax
that delegates have been used more in C#. It's because at
the same time a lot of extensions methods have been
added (similar to the current array extras). Before that,
delegates *were* already used to add event handlers,
which was the only place where they were really helpful at
that time. The problem is that the "delegate" syntax forced
you to type the argument' types (a problem we don't have
in ES at this time) whereas the arrow syntax computed them.

As a good way to prove my point, we can see that in VB.NET
the same feature was added at the same time with a more
traditonnal syntax + type infering and it's also used a lot
since then.

[[ VB.NET Syntax: Function(X) X.Property ]]