block lambda revival

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Sat May 21 09:50:22 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>>> An essential part of this proposal is a paren-free call syntax
>>
>> Why is that essential?

> When I wrote essential, I was not claiming that there's a logical proof of necessity. Rather I was declaring that this strawman includes paren-free block-argument-bearing call expressions as an essential design element. Chopping it out chops down the whole strawman.

I understand what you're writing above but I think that ties this
proposed short syntax for functions (or lambdas) to something the
arrow syntax is not tied to and so makes it a "do you like apples or
oranges?" choice. In another thread, some people were suggesting {||}
as an exact alternative to the thin arrow.

Peter