i18n NumberFormat and skeleton (in addition to pattern parameter)

Nebojša Ćirić cira at google.com
Fri May 20 14:32:50 PDT 2011

Current proposal for NumberFormat specifies style (percent, currency,
decimal...) or a pattern to use to create a formatter.

We could add support for skeleton parameter (like date time formatter has)
to help developers get patterns they want but without worry about locale
specific issues. For example:

Skeleton (I'll use $ for currency part):
  $0,00.000###

says - minimum 3 integer digits, use grouping separator (because of ,),
minumum 3 decimal digits, maximum 6 decimal digits.

Possible patterns:

en: #,000.000### $
in: $ #,##,#000.000###

We could also support ; (separator for +/- parts of pattern) in the
skeleton. In that case we would find patterns for both parts and then join
them.

Number formatting was one item we didn't finish last time, so I expect more
discussion on Monday.

--
Nebojša Ćirić