Full Unicode strings strawman

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu May 19 15:48:35 PDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> I'm still not at all convinced :)  I don't buy that the linguistic case isn't interesting

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the linguistic case isn't interesting.  It's obviously very interesting for a lot of application.  I was trying to say the the ES string value type and String objects are  linguistic neutral abstractions and also that I think this is a good thing. I would have no problem at all with a different object-level String-like abstraction that supported Unicode linguistics.  Call it UnicodeString or UTF16String or whatever and give it all the linguistic aware  methods you want.  The underlying data would still be represented using the linguistic neutral string value type.

Allen