Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu May 19 15:08:44 PDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On May 19, 2011 3:09 PM, "Bob Nystrom" <rnystrom at google.com> wrote:
> >> class Point {
> >>   constructor(this.x = 0, this.y = 0) {
> >>   }
> >> }
> >

> > Yeah, that's in the document the proposal is linking to now (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gOFRSBOKtB8VjXC5LRhhNiGi1n1QQ6z1O6LyxjrOB3g/edit?hl=en_US). I'd like to roll that into the proposal as an optional refinement. I really really like this.
>
> Please do. I like it too. But yes, as an optional refinement.

+1

And I'm +1 on including it normatively, FWIW.

You guys have been good sports, here is one last minor comment: The ExportableDefinition nonterminal produces this right-hand side:
      Identifier = Expression ;                            // provided data
which works perfectly after class (now static, hrm, two minor comments then ;-). But without a keyword in front,

class Point {
  x = 0;

is a bit of a mystery.

Is it an assignment expression-statement? No, no statements as ClassElements.

Could it be creating a prototype property, as other unprefixed property initialisers such as get and set accessor declarations, and property initialiser extensions declaring prototype methods, do? Yes, that's the intent.

But, I object (mildly), it does not look like a property initialiser. It looks like an assignment expression-statement.

I see the dilemma: if you use colon, you walk into class body as object initialiser body, with comma separation, etc. If you use equal sign, you avoid that.

But this is only for defining data properties on the class prototype. Is this case common? I can't think of a built-in class that has such a data property. It's very rare.

So how about YAGNI -- leave this out, it won't be needed enough and one can always write C.prototype.x = 0 or Object.defineProperty(C.prototype, 'x', ...) after the class declaration has been evaluated.

Or if you have a measured need based on some existing code, which I'd love to hear about: consider a prefixing keyword to make this look like an alternative to static x = 0.

Ok, second minor point. At least dherman and I really dug the use of class where static is now specified. We avoid unwanted baggage from other (and static as in typing) languages. We point directly to the value of the binding created by the class declaration or evaluated from an anonymous class declaration: the constructor.

Any strong reason why this change was made?

Thanks for considering,