Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu May 19 12:02:51 PDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 11:55 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> I like Bob's "this.x" form best, especially when combined with your observation about default values.

That's great -- if we want to shorthand harder, we can consider .x for this.x down the road.

> The reason I prefer "this.x" rather than the terser ".x" or "@x" (even assuming away conflicts with other uses if "@"), is that I can imagine many programmers with ES < 6 experience, on seeing a "this.x" parameter for the first time, to be able to guess what it means.

Sure.

So I'm not sure you bought my argument that this means we don't need intiialisers for the public and private name declarations that are outside of the constructor head and body. And I don't want to twist Bob's arms. Let me know if this *does* relieve us from having to support initialisers evaluated per-construction yet declared outside the constructor.