Full Unicode strings strawman

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu May 19 10:57:36 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
[...]

> That seems worth considering, rather than s.wideIndexOf(nonBMPChar).

Not jumping into the Unicode debate yet. But I did want to nip this
terminological possibility in the bud. PLEASE do not refer to non-BMP
characters, or char code/units with potentially more that 16 bits of
significance, as "wide". C already uses the term "wide" to distinguish
between 8 and 16 bits of significance in their char datatype, so we should
consider "wide" ruined for any sensible usage.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM