Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu May 19 08:36:36 PDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 2:42 AM, Lasse Reichstein wrote:

Hi Lasse.

> On Wed, 11 May 2011 02:44:30 +0200, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> I've mooted \ along with ƒ, etc. for a while. \ is bad for readability because it's visually light, but worse, if we want named function expression shorthand, then \u10A0(){} is a valid Unicode-identifier-char-named function expression.
>
> Is there a plan to make arrow notation allow named function expressions?

Not in the strawman. Without a leading special character, that's a bridge too far.

Even now the ambiguity with comma expression requires a cover-grammar parsing hack, which is used for destructuring assignment and even (going back to ES1) left-hand side of assignment. This hack is done for assignments, doable for destructuring (SpiderMonkey and Rhino do it), and controversial for arrow function formal parameter vs. comma expression parsing.