prototype for operator proposal for review

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed May 18 15:14:03 PDT 2011

> I think I like <: about as much as  <|.  I'm not sure which is going to be more readable across a variety of fonts and sizes.  <| does seem to be generally more visually distinct.

I just have to say that the pipe symbol in many fonts makes for a really hideous triangle. It doesn't line up at all with the top and bottom of the less-than/greater-than symbols.

> I suspect that to most JS programmers the UML open triangle generalization arrow head is at least as relevant a precedent as any type theory uses.  In other words,the relevancy of either isn't very high.

Yeah. In fact, the analogy to type theory would have us read the <: symbol as a binary predicate, which isn't what's going on here at all.

So... I don't find either of these lexemes very pleasant, but I don't have any beautiful alternatives to offer.

Dave