prototype for operator proposal for review

Dmitry A. Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:41:05 PDT 2011

On 18.05.2011 6:50, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> We had so much fun with feedback on my Unicode proposal I just have
> open another one up for list feed back:
>
> An updated version of the "prototype for" (formerly proto) operator
> proposal is at
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proto_operator

Just a small note on:

"There are many other possible special character alternates to *|<||*.
For example, *||>|*, *|^^|*, *|*>|*, *|&>|*, *|^||*, *|<|-|*, etc. It
isn't clear that any of these is more meaningful or mnemonic than *|<||*."

Perhaps just "less than" would be enough? Why we need two symbols? It's
by the way, a real implementation of subclassing in Ruby:

class Foo
   def alert
     p "Called from Foo class"
   end
end

class Bar < Foo
   def alert
     super
   end
end

bar = Bar.new
bar.alert # "Called from Foo class"

It sounds quite logical -- "by hierarchy Bar is *less than* Foo".

And also: what's happened to meta-properties in initialisers? It seems
to me that having them we get also the ability not only to specify the
proto, but also other control attributes for properties and to the
object. And since #-symbol has changed its semantics, and instead
->-functions (or probably Ruby's blocks) are on agenda instead, maybe we
may use # exactly for meta properties?

let foo = {x: 10};

let bar = {

   #proto: foo,