Full Unicode strings strawman

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue May 17 10:50:57 PDT 2011

On May 17, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On May 17, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/11 1:40 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>>> Where do you read "forcing"? Not in the words you cited.
>>
>> In the substance of having strings in different encodings around at the same time.  If that doesn't force developers to worry about encodings, what does, exactly?
>
> Where in the strawman is anything of that kind observably (to JS authors) proposed?

The flag idea just mooted in this thread is not addressing new problem -- we can have such mixing bugs today. True, the odds may go up for such bugs in the future (hard to assess whether or how much).

At least with new APIs for characters not gunk-units, we can detect mixtures dynamically. This still seems a good idea but it is not essential (yet) and it is nowhere near "forcing developers to worry about encodings".