Full Unicode strings strawman

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue May 17 10:27:35 PDT 2011

On May 17, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Yes.  And right now that's how it works and actual JS authors typically don't have to worry about encoding issues.  I don't agree with Allen's claim that "in the long run JS in the browser is going to have to be able to deal with arbitrary encodings".  Having the _capability_ might be nice, but forcing all web authors to think about it seems like a non-starter.

Allen said "be able to", not "forcing". Big difference. I think we three at least are in agreement here.

>> That it means JS hackers are careless about Unicode is inevitable, and there are other reasons for that condition anyway. At least with your strawman there will be full Unicode flowing through JS and back into the DOM and layout.
>
> See, this is the part I don't follow.  What do you mean by "full Unicode" and how do you envision it flowing?

I mean UTF-16 flowing through, but as you say that happens now -- but (I reply) only if JS doesn't mess with things in a UCS-2 way (indexing 16-bits at a time, ignoring surrogates). And JS code does generally assume 16 bits are enough.

With Allen's proposal we'll finally have some new APIs for JS developers to use.