Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Mon May 16 19:55:28 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Yes, and we could add call/cc to make (some) compiler writers even happier. But users would shoot off all their toes with this footgun, and some implementors would be hard-pressed to support it. The point is *not * to do any one change that maximizes benefits to some parties while harming others.

By the nature of their task and its complexity, compiler writers
targeting JavaScript need JavaScript to have features that make it
possible to generate efficient compiled code. Without the big features
like call/cc there are many things that just cannot be compiled well
enough...which ultimately means all the languages that compile to
JavaScript are just thin sugar layers that really aren't even worth
the bother. Those languages, like Coffeescript, are obscure and known
by only a few people. The goal of pleasing compiler writers should be
to make it possible to compile existing languages like Perl, Ruby,
Python and Scheme to JavaScript. These languages are the ones that
people know and really want to use and target their compilers to
JavaScript.

Peter