Full Unicode strings strawman

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon May 16 16:21:09 PDT 2011

> Not in my proposal!  "\ud800\udc00"=== "\u+010000"  is false in my proposal.

That’s exactly my problem.  I think the engine’s (or at least the applications written in JavaScript) are still UTF-16-centric and that they’ll have d800, dc00 === 10000.  For example, if they were different, then d800, dc00 should print �� instead of 𐀀, however I’m reasonably sure that any implementation would end up rendering it as 𐀀.

In other words I don’t think you can get the engine to be completely UTF-32.  At least not without declaring a page as being UTF-32.

-Shawn