Full Unicode strings strawman

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon May 16 14:46:18 PDT 2011

On 5/16/11 5:16 PM, Mike Samuel wrote:
> The strawman says
>
> "The String type is the set of all finite ordered sequences of zero or
> more 21-bit unsigned integer values (“elements”)."

Yeah, that's not the same thing as an actual Unicode string, and
requires handling of all sorts of "what if someone sticks non-Unicode in
there?" issues...

Of course people actually do use JS strings as immutable arrays of
16-bit unsigned integers right now (not just as byte arrays), so I
suspect that we can't easily exclude the surrogate ranges from "strings"
without breaking existing content...

-Boris