Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun May 15 22:01:13 PDT 2011

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:classes_with_trait_composition#open_issues

This looks pretty good at a glance, but it's a lot, and it's new.

I have to say this reminds me of ES4 classes. That's neither bad nor good, but it's not just superficial, as far as I can tell (and I was reading specs then and now).

On the other hand, I'm in no rush to standardize something this complex and yet newly strawman-spec'ed and yet unimplemented. So we may as well take our time, learn from history, and go around the karmic wheel again for another few years...

I'm not against classes as a near-term objective, but in order to be near-term and not to unwind in committee, I believe they have to be dead simple and prototypal, with very few knobs, bells and whistles. Factoring out privacy and leaving constructor in charge of per-instance property setting, as it is in ES5, would IMHO help.