Non-method functions and this

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Sun May 15 13:09:55 PDT 2011

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I don’t think this particular question has been answered yet:

(1) I would prefer non-method functions not to have a binding for |this| at all.

(2) The solution for ES.next seems to be to (e.g. internally, via =>) bind to |this| of the surrounding method.

Isn’t (1) a better solution? I’m assuming (2) is done, because (1) would be too radical a change (execution contexts etc.)? (1) could be simulated by always binding |this| in non-method functions, but that isn’t done because of performance issues(?)

Thanks!

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer