Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Fri May 13 05:28:40 PDT 2011

David,

This is awesome, thank you for taking the time to put this together. If I have any specific questions for you, should I ask them here (perhaps others would benefit) or should I email you directly?

Thanks again

Rick

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On May 13, 2011 5:09 AM, David Bruant <david.bruant at labri.fr> wrote:

Le 13/05/2011 02:55, Rick Waldron a écrit :

> David,

> For clarification, can you give a working example (ie runable in FF

> nightly) of this:

> "Object.prototype.toString could return different

> things for DOM objects. This can certainly be implemented in pure

> ES.next with WeakMaps. "

Sure. Here is an example of what I was thinking:

https://gist.github.com/970223

I run it directly on the webconsole and it works like a charm (Tested on

latest FF nightly on Windows 7 64bits)

A couple of things to keep in mind:

- I have no idea which DOM "classes" people expect and what particular

values of [[Class]] are set for them.

- I do not create objects respecting the DOM interfaces (it shouldn't

make any difference, but tell me if you think it does)

- My sole purpose was to prove feasbility. I am aware that the solution

I show is suboptimal in several ways (especially the several

redefinitions of Object.prototype.toString)

- The same could have been achieved with arrays instead of weak maps,

but would have led to memory leaks.

- I assume the "environment setting" code to run in a fresh conforming

ES environment (ES5.1 + current implicit consensus on WeakMaps)

David