Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu May 12 18:52:38 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Tom Van Cutsem:
>> invariants that are enforced:
>>> - unconfigurable [[Class]] (Object or Function, respectively)
>
> Web IDL requires [[Class]] to take on values other than these two, for
> example it should be "HTMLDivElement" for an HTMLDivElement object.  I
> have a feeling that the web requires this, as opposed to just having a
> custom toString function.

I'm still hopeful that I can eliminate [[Class]] entirely from the ES.next specification.

What is WebIDL really trying to accomplish when it specifies class values.  Parameterizing toString.  Trademarking objects?  Something else.  All the use cases I have seen for [[class]] an be accomplished some other way rather than by over-loading this specification device with additional meanings.

Allen