Function Syntax

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu May 12 12:54:46 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Claus Reinke wrote:

> Would it be possible for you to follow basic netiquette?

I'm trying. Are you? We've been around this block before.

Either there is substance or there isn't. If there's no substantial proposal to discuss, then many paragraphs of generalizations are not welcome.

> If you do not want to look for useful information in my
> posts, there is no need for you to reply with unproductive
> aggression.

I read all your posts. I found useful information in some (reply coming on one in particular, still recent).

I don't want to ignore your messages, although they are taxing to read (and I'm not alone in remarking on this). You can call my style aggressive if you like, or blunt, but it remains to be seen whether it is "unproductive". Many people ignoring your messages while you keep on writing them would be less productive than the better outcome: cutting the padding and generalities and getting to specifics when you are ready.

> If you do want to reply to my posts, please
> do so when you are calm and able to focus on making
> productive contributions, preferably after spending more
> than one second on reading and trying to understand
> what you reply to, just as we do with your posts.

My posts are notably shorter and I try to avoid generalizing and "preaching".

> If you do want to restrict this list to certain topics, such
> as discussing proposals made only by committee members,
> you could simply state so on the list page.

No, that's a straw-man argument, easily knocked down. This list exists for non-committee members as well as committee members. My objections are specific and you shouldn't duck them (again, with too many words!).

> Clarification of
> list aims and options for non-members to contribute to the
> proposal process have been asked for here often enough.
>
> Whatever it is you want - it is not acceptable that you leave
> the burden of trying to keep discussions civil to others.

I believe I was civil.

> Claus
>
> PS. I am tooling up to making more concrete suggestions,

Please do, and until then don't rehash problem statements, generalize about ideals, or sermonize about the perfect. Am I clear and civil? I think so!