egal harmony proposal updates

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed May 11 16:23:04 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:

> See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:egal -- I took the
> liberty of renaming 'eq' to 'is' and I made the operator idea from the
> November TC39 meeting concrete.
>
> Note that egal as an ''is' operator, with 'isnt' as the not-egal operator,
> differs from CoffeeScript's 'is' and 'isn't, which are sugar for === and !==
> respectively. Nevertheless, I think 'is' and 'isn't are much better names
> than 'eq' and 'neq' or 'ne' (ouch). If ES.next standardizes this proposal,
> Coffee will cope.
>
> The proposal is already harmonious without being complete, and my edits are
> not the last word, but it seemed worth iterating to make the proposal have
> fewer open issues and more detailed rationale. I did leave a couple of open
> issues. Please holler at me if there are more to add.

Hi Brendan and Allen,

I just looked over all the changes from the page as accepted into proposals.
I think I like them all but would like to take post-May time to think it
over. AFAICT, there are no semantic issues raised by these changes. Is there
any urgency I'm missing (like an impending 7.x Nightly) for resolving these
concrete syntactic and naming issues sooner rather than later?

> /be

    Cheers,
    --MarkM