Strict mode eval

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Wed May 11 04:42:44 PDT 2011

Thanks to everybody for clearing up my confusion. The thing I had
missed in the spec was Section 10.4.2. And of course, my example was
too simplistic because it couldn't distinguish caller and global
context.

At the risk of reviving old discussions, are there any sources
explaining the rationale behind the current design? The "obvious"
solution to me would have been having two internal variants/modes of
(or "entry points" to) the eval function, one strict, one non-strict.
And depending on the lexical strict mode, the identifier "eval" would
be bound to the right one.

Thanks,
/Andreas