Lexical versus dynamic "this"

Andrew Dupont mozilla at andrewdupont.net
Tue May 10 20:57:06 PDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> Usability is hard. I've seen zero evidence that CoffeeScript's fat-arrow is unusably terse and people are fooled into thinking it's as cheap as -> (if that's the concern). What is the problem?

The problem comes from my (limited) experience reading CoffeeScript: not only is the arrow syntax light enough that I sometimes miss it entirely, but when I see it in code I often find myself _not noticing_ whether it used -> or => until I go back and look at it again. I'm _not_ worried that its terseness makes it unusable; I think it's easy to remember which is which when you're typing it. I worry that its terseness makes reading other people's code (or code you wrote months ago) harder to grok.

I freely admit this is a vague, hard-to-prove concern, but I mention it here in case other people feel the same way. I'm happy to go hunting for evidence if someone can suggest what I should be looking for.

Cheers,
Andrew