Function Syntax

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue May 10 18:47:06 PDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

> I look at ECMAScript as serving four groups:
>
> 1. The beginners for whom the language was designed.
> 2. The web developers who owe their livelihoods to the language.
> 3. The scientists who will use the language for greatness.
> 4. Language designers and critics.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "scientists".  The third group I would identify are professional software developers who will use the language to implemented complex applications of the soft that today are more commonly implemented using Java, C++, etc.  These are larger systems that need more emphasis upon upon abstraction building in order to manage the domain and application complexity.

At a meeting today, the dichotomy we used in talking about this is the difference between "imperative programmers" and "abstraction builders".  Imperative programmer know how to use basic imperative statements to manipulate predefined abstractions.  Abstraction builders  create such abstractions. I think that all of your #1 and much of #2 are "imperative programmers".  While we need to continue to improve the language for this group we also need to start better serving the needs of the abstraction builders.   Much of what we have promoted to proposal status seems to be oriented target on this latter group.

Allen