David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Sat May 7 16:17:36 PDT 2011

> Based on what evidence are "we" concluding that the majority of the javascript developers want -> syntax for functions? The fact that coffeescript is the hot buzzword? Was there some developer-community wide voting or poll that I missed? Or is it that a few vocal people on these lists like it, and that's being substituted as what the "majority" is in favor of?

IIRC there were cheers at JSConf this week.

But you're looking for something that doesn't exist: a way to make scientifically sound decisions about language design. There is *no* way to resolve syntax questions perfectly. We welcome community input, all community input. But we are going to have to make a decision, and it simply won't be perfect. We're going to listen to everyone, consider the technical issues, and at the end of the day, make the best decision we can with imperfect information.

Dave