Object.prototype.* writable?

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Sat May 7 10:31:03 PDT 2011

On May 7, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Cedric Vivier wrote:
>> 2. Would it be possible for Object.prototype.* to be read-only for
>> ES-Harmony (or even just strict mode)?
>> 3. By read-only, I mean that changes to it would just silently be discarded.
>> Alternatively (especially for strict mode), warnings/errors could be thrown
>> if attempting to override them?
>
> Doesn't Object.freeze(Object.prototype) provide exactly this behavior already?

Unless of course someone has already got code in your page that does Object.freeze = function(){};

Same thing applies to preventExtensions, seal, create, defineProperty, etc and of course the Object constructor itself.

<rant>
It does annoy me that these were not made immutable.  The safest way to create an object is still either with an object literal or new SomeFunction;

I'm not convinced that Object.create added anything of value to the language, and certainly wouldn't recommend
its use for general object creation.
</rant>

--Oliver