Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Fri May 6 23:22:20 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Andrew Dupont <mozilla at andrewdupont.net> wrote:

> I don't want to get too deep into matters of taste, but I do think the current syntax is annoyingly verbose for passing lambdas as arguments in other functions. The fact that it's so verbose ends up hurting readability when the function itself is short.

I think that this is what compilers and projects like coffeescript are
for. In my opinion, JavaScript itself doesn't need this new syntax.

I think improving JavaScript as a compilation target is a good goal.
For example, a real "lambda" with guaranteed proper tail calls, no
"arguments", no need for "return", etc would make is possible to
compile Scheme to JavaScript without using something inefficient like
trampolines. It would also open up recursive programming options in
plain JavaScript so it would be win-win.

Peter