Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Fri May 6 22:42:47 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> But again, you can use 14 characters if you want.

The problem is that the author of the code that I'm reading may have
used the arrow syntax and then I'm stuck reading it.

> This is shorthand, and only shorthand. And usability counts, so shorthands are in Harmony (e.g., destructuring)

Yes and readability counts. JavaScript's function syntax is already
*highly* usable and readable. Having many ways to write the same thing
is a burden to readers of code because they have to know a larger set
of forms and all of the gotchas that come along with them.

A lot of languages have a lot of "cool syntax" and then the
communities come up with best practices that prohibit the use of them
anyway often for reasons only discovered after their introduction. My
hunch is that arrow syntax will be one of these cases.

JavaScript can use attention in many of areas. Devoting time to adding
sugary function syntax seems like a misappropriation of resources.

Peter