Inner functions and outer 'this' (Re: That hash symbol)

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Mar 31 11:12:52 PDT 2011

On Mar 31, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Kam Kasravi wrote:

> How reasonable would it be to treat 'this' in a similar way that the prototype chain is referenced when resolving identifiers? I realize there would be ambiguity for like named identifiers but that problem exists now... In Allen's first example this.handleClick(this,e) would not be resolved with it's implicit binding to elem, so 'this' would be bound lexically and the code would just work. The second 'this' would of course default to the implicit bindin

Other languages have tried to integrate inheritance based binding with lexical binding.  See f http://dyla2007.unibe.ch/?download=dyla07-Gilad.pdf  and http://bracha.org/newspeak-modules.pdf  for one example and additional references.

There are some complications to this approach and it seems to me that it is unlikely to be something that could be retrofitted in JavaScript.

Allen