Inner functions and outer 'this' (Re: That hash symbol)

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Wed Mar 30 13:14:27 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-29, at 17:38, Brendan Eich wrote:

[...]
> We did not discuss allowing |this| to be bound otherwise, *except*
>
>  #foo(this = this| arg1, arg2) {...}

Am I right in understanding the above to be an idiom for trampolining the outer `this` binding into the closure?  (With the hazard that someone could override that binding.)  Or are you just giving an example, not endorsing a particular idiom?

[...]

> The other use-case, what Alex Russell calls soft-bind, also wants |this| not |^this|.

Is there an example of what 'soft-bind' means somewhere?