extends keyword instead of <superclass ... >

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Mar 28 15:51:42 PDT 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:

> Exactly. "Classes" are not about just the "class" keyword, but about the _ability to classify_, i.e. to program in classified (i.e. with object-patterned programming). JS supports (and supported all these years both approaches: delegation-based prototypal (i.e. unclassified or chaotic code reuse) and classical (classified or systematized code reuse).

To quote the title of a famous paper by William Cook: "Inheritance Is Not Subtyping".  This is commonly misquoted as "Subclassing is not Subtyping".

> Thus, a "class" in JS is a pair of "constructor function + prototype". From this viewpoint, e.g. classes in Python (or CoffeeScript) are just syntactic sugar of the same delegation-based inheritance used in JS. And this means that JS also may have this sugar -- to allow users to program in classified manner (if they need to). So there's no a big difference between these languages and therefore keyword `extends` may fit absolutely normally.

And quoting the definition of class in Smalltalk-80: The Langauge and Its Implementation: "class:  A description of a group of similar objects".  I would emphasize the word "description" in the Smalltalk-80 definition.  In dynamic object oriented languages, a class consists of the description of the common implementation of a set of identically implemented objects. Part of that common implementation may be obtained via inheritance. But obtaining parts of an object's implementation via inheritance (subclassing) is not the same as subtyping.

Subtyping implies a substitutive relationship. If B is a subtype of A, then in general you can expect to be able to substitute B in any situation where A is expected.  Static object oriented languages in the style of  C++, Java, and C# fairly strongly equate subclassing with subtyping.  What you can say in a class definition is constrained by the rules of subtyping. Dynamic object-oriented languages such as Smalltalk, Ruby, and Python do not equate subclassing and subtyping.  In such languages, B being a subclass of A means that B shares some of it implementation with A but it does not mean that B can always be substituted for A

One of the rules of object subtyping is that additional  methods may be added by a subtype but methods may not be deleted.  Thus in a subclassing==subtyping language it is easy to think about subclasses as generally "extending" superclasses with additional members.  The use of "extends" in Java is no doubt a reflection of that perspective.

It is fairly straight forwards to augment JavaScript with the concept of "class" as a syntactic unit that describes the shared description of the implementation shared by a group of objects. It would also be straight forward to including the concept of implementation "subclassing" in the Smalltalk/Ruby/Python style.  It would be very difficult to introduce the concept of classes as nominal types with subclassing into the JavaScript.

Using "extends" to mean "subclass of" may be familiar to Java programers, but it may also be misleading.

this second usage of replacing this with @ seems like a separable piece and the same familiarity argument that might be made for using "extends" would argue against replacing "this" with "@".

> ,,,

Allen