That hash symbol

Jeff Walden jwalden+es at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 26 21:06:31 PDT 2011

On 03/26/2011 07:44 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>> Non leading-char solutions have the disadvantage of using some other kind of bracketing -- e.g. `a,b { return a + b; }`
>
> This is ambiguous too. A comma expression followed by a block (if in an outer function, the return is legal).

I might be misreading, but I think Wes meant to have ` as a bracket-y character, such that on seeing it you switch to argument-parsing mode until you hit '{', or something like that, then end the entire thing with another ` ("bracket-y character").  There's no ambiguity there that I can see, although it has other issues, and wasn't seriously proposed anyway (as I read Wes).

Jeff