That hash symbol

David Bruant david.bruant at labri.fr
Fri Mar 25 13:38:22 PDT 2011

Le 25/03/2011 20:18, Brendan Eich a écrit :
> Dunno. You were ravaged by the Crocken so you may be a bit sore still :-/.
>
> Any list with informal/unsound syntax talk is not one I want to be on. It's not quite beer talk. It could lead to a breakthrough idea, who knows? But the cost is pretty high.
>
> I'm not against syntax proposals here, mind you. Let's just work out the grammar a bit before launching.
This is said and (hopefully) read by people who are currently on the
list. But it might be worth saying it while welcoming people on
es-discuss (on the listinfo page or welcoming e-mail after validation)
so that each time someone comes in with the expectation of bringing a
syntax idea, s/he can be told beforehand that s/he should start working
on the grammar and bring something already solid to the mailing-list.

I haven't taken the occasion to do so yet, but I'd like to thank you for
considering that an open mailing-list will be beneficial for ECMAScript
as a language.
Nevertheless, by doing so, you're creating a community and like every
community, there are rules, conventions, expectations. It might be time
to formalize these in a way or another. The WHATWG has done it on their
wiki. For inspiration, I recommend reading:
*
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_removing_bad_ideas_from_a_specification.3F
*
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F