Summary of i18n ad hoc group meeting - 21st March 2011
cira at google.com
Mon Mar 21 17:28:56 PDT 2011
Started implementation of collator in Chrome and hit a problem:
var coll = locale.collator();
Compare method gets bound to the undefined or global object at the call
site. Erik mentioned that this problem will be solved in Harmony by passing
additional "this" parameter to for-each and likes. We would like to propose
extending this syntax to the sort method too.
We discussed each part of the API in order to get detailed parameters of
each constructor and method.
- Add options property to each class that would give you actual value for
the user parameters. For example, if user asked for islamic calendar, and we
only have islamic-civil, we set calendar property to islamic-civil. Allows
developer to iterate until satisfied with the result.
- Use Unicode identifier vs. BCP47 in the API
- numeric - specifies numeric sort (9 comes before 12)
- ignoreVariants - ignore all of case, width and kana
- ignoreWidth, ignoreCase and ignoreKana - subvariants we may implement
to fine tune the behavior
- ignoreAccents - ignore accents
- ignoreSymbols - ignore punctuation and symbols
- variant - phonebook, ... - string
- Allow patterns to specify grouping, currency symbol position and sign
- Start with ICU patterns and see if they work for everybody
- Don't support overrides for grouping separator and decimal point for
- Specify both currencySymbol and currencyCode as override
- Added Era and day period methods (AM/PM)
- Moved all methods to DateTimeFormat class
- Remove DTFSymbols class
- Specify calendar names better (move work to Unicode/LDML and point to
- Allow short/long dateType to get value from the system or cloud.
- .options[skeleton] should contain best match for the given skeleton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the es-discuss