About private names

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Mon Mar 21 09:38:59 PDT 2011

>>> right now, bracket notation is a superset of dot notation, but it would no longer be under the proposed syntax.
>>
>> I'm afraid I can't figure out what this means, but it doesn't sound true to me.
>
> Right now, everything that can be expressed via dot notation has an analog in bracket notation that means the same thing.

This is also true of the private names proposal with the overloaded dot notation. Given any expression <<expr>>.foo, the expression is equivalent to <<expr>>[#.foo]. (If `foo' is not private, then the expression is also equivalent to <<expr>>['foo'] as usual.)

> Bracket notation can additionally accommodate any string that doesn't qualify as an IdentifierName. That's what I meant by "superset."

And that would continue to be true as well.

So I still don't see how that's an argument against private dot-notation.

Dave