Standardizing __proto__

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Mar 18 19:35:26 PDT 2011

On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:27 PM, John-David Dalton wrote:

>> But to get back to shaver's point: you are requiring a stylized, non-standard,
>> popular-library-incompatible dialect of JS to be used from the start to work inside FuseJS's sandboxes, IIUC. Right?
>
> Mike was getting OT onto the specifics and merits of sandboxed natives/FuseJS.

It's not OT to try to quantify, even roughly, how often __proto__ mutation matters (in static lines of code if not lines run at runtime per unit time). If __proto__ mutation is really rare compared to reading, and especially so if you exclude the "define" or "presetting not resetting" issue, then we should not linger on this too long.

We still need to serve the preset-proto use cases, for sure.