Standardizing __proto__

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Fri Mar 18 10:08:39 PDT 2011

There is a general problem of  supporting creation of  special behavior objects (EG, Boolean, RegExp, anything fronted by a Proxy(??)) with arbitrary prototypes that I'm looking at for a Harmony strawman.  However, I think in practice that this occurs very rarely for anything other than Array.

I would be ideal if TC39 could agree upon an Array.create proposal at its next meeting.  This would enable implementations to immediately move towards providing a standards path alternative to  what is probably the major use case for LHS __proto__.

Array create seems like a good interface for that particular use case even if the general solution that encompasses things other than Array ended up being something different.

Allen