Standardizing __proto__

John-David Dalton john.david.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:02:31 PDT 2011

> For symmetry with
> Object.create, you might want Boolean.create, Date.create and so
> forth, but that's still initialization-time, and TBH I would be
> surprised if there were actually many collisions between libraries
> that augment those prototypes.

In the Script Junkie article I cover a few examples of collisions with
Function.prototype's and problems with Array.prototype.
Date.create, Function.create and the like clutters the API. I would be
for a more generic Object.setPrototypeOf() addition.
http://es5.github.com/#x15.2.3.2

> and I can't really find anything other than Fuse that uses
> it on the web today

PrototypeJS uses it.

> I think you can also achieve what you want with Harmony proxies, so
> you'll have that option in the next edition of ES.

I don't know. It would need to preserve internal [[Class]] as __proto__.