Standardizing __proto__

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Fri Mar 18 10:00:24 PDT 2011

I kind of dislike the proliferation of .create methods.  It's seems inelegant.  What if we had (use __proto__ for semantic description)

Object.subclass = function(constructor) {
    "use strict";
    function cons() {
        var result = constructor.apply(this, arguments);
        result.__proto__ = cons.prototype;
        return result;
    }
    cons.prototype = Object.create(constructor.prototype);
    return cons;
}

This would provide a function that does that allows arbitrary "subclassing" of any function.  Obviously there are issues (call vs. construct behaviour, etc), but I think it's not too far off being a decent generic solution.

--Oliver