[Harmony proxies][Terminology] "fixed" state of a proxy

David Bruant bruant at enseirb-matmeca.fr
Sun Mar 13 15:15:33 PDT 2011

That's a very interesting point.
But there is indeed a subtle difference between call/construct traps and
the rest of the handler. These traps are actually more of the "internal
property setting" kinds (like the prototype argument in Proxy.create). I
think that it is the reason why these things are separated from the
handler object; they are more like "direct static setting".

When reading the semantics of [[Prototype]], [[Call]] and [[Construct]],
one can notice that there is no external dependency. The proxy contains
references to what has been passed as an argument (and their own
internal properties) and uses them without being disturbed.
All the other internal method semantics have a dependency on the handler
object (the internal method is reified as the handler trap dynamically
not as the value at initialisation time). This is one difference.

Another difference is that the main goal of turning the proxy into an
object after preventExtension is to prevent the proxy from breaking
invariants. Among these invariants, the fake-object shouldn't be able to
be added properties to, so property-adding (defineProperty/set) traps
should be shutdown. Another invariant is that two consecutive calls to
property introspection traps shouldn't allow you to pretend that
properties have been added. So property-introspection traps (all
remaining except delete and fix) should be removed.
And shutting down some traps wouldn't really make sense without removing
them all I think (I do not feel 100% strong on this).

The way I see it, after the fix trap, the proxy isn't trapping anything.
For function proxies, I would consider the case as: what remains is a
function with user-defined [[Call]] and [[Construct]] internal methods.
It wouldn't actually be very far from what we could expect from a
Function.create(call, constr) method which I would see as some sort of
equivalent of the Object.create(prototype).

David