iteration order for Object

Charles Kendrick charles at isomorphic.com
Fri Mar 11 14:07:08 PST 2011

On 3/11/2011 1:33 PM, David Bruant wrote:
> Le 11/03/2011 21:49, Charles Kendrick a écrit :
>> Yes Allen, hence the urgency.  If IE9 final ships that way, the "goose
>> is cooked":
> Let's face it right now: IE9 will ship that way. They're on RC phase,
> it's completely irrealistic to consider they would change object
> implementation.
>  From the spec point of view, there is no urgency since Harmony won't
> ship for couple of years I think.

I disagree - if there is a clear consensus that ECMAScript will standardize on a particular
iteration order, there's a strong chance IE9 will update to reflect this (so, on reflection, I
should not have said the goose is cooked).

They are aggressively embracing standards across the board now, after all.

>> 1. we will have a new de facto standard iteration order for Object
>> that does not match any known use case - it is purely an
>> implementation detail leaking through
> As said by someone else, the iteration order has never been
> standardized. It was dangerous from the developers to base their code on
> an implementation detail even though this one was at some point
> consistent accross browsers. Standards aren't only for implementors.

Your perspective is common in a group like this - very spec and standard focused.  Isn't it fun
to bash those developers?  Everyone's doing it.. I hope you realize it's irrelevant though?

These developers took a calculated risk at a time when standards were so vague and partial that
they had to take similar risks everywhere.  Most of them stand ready to accept the consequences
and change their code.

It's just that it's a tremendous waste of time for them to do so.  *That's* the point.