iteration order for Object

John Tamplin jat at google.com
Fri Mar 11 11:44:10 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Charles Kendrick
<charles at isomorphic.com>wrote:

> However as far as the default strategy, the highest value thing to do seems
> to me to impose the de-facto standard of 15 years - insertion order - which
> is a very useful behavior and will avoid thousands of websites having to
> compensate for a change in de-facto standard behavior.

So I suppose you think C should have kept int at 16 bits since there was
lots of Win16 code that assumed sizeof(int)==2 because it happened to work
on their platform, or likewise sizeof(int)==sizeof(char*)?  Things
unspecified in the spec mean "unspecified" -- it doesn't mean "rely on
whatever behavior the implementation you use exhibits and expect it to be
portable".

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google