iteration order for Object

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 10 19:33:42 PST 2011

On 3/10/11 9:58 PM, Charles Kendrick wrote:
> 1. tens of thousands of web applications that need to define a sorted
> map plus perhaps billions of JSON messages per day
>
> .. to ..
>
> 2. a handful of crypto / computational use cases used by a tiny minority
> of sites
>
> What should be optimized for?

It depends on the relative slowdowns, possibly.

And to be clear, all I was pointing out is that the speedup from
treating numbered properties specially is very noticeable and appears on
real-life workloads.  Where we go from there is a separate issue.

> Note that we don't really even have to choose. If you tell the guys
> implementing these crypto / bignum libraries that their code is going to
> run 6x faster in Firefox if they use an Array, they'll probably have
> switched by Tuesday.

I told them in September.  There's been no change yet.  I think you
overestimate how much people are willing to change their code to work
around what they think are bugs....

-Boris