JavaScript parser API

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:02:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de> wrote:
> http://blog.mozilla.com/dherman/2011/06/28/the-js-parser-api-has-landed/
>
> I’ve just read D. Herman’s post on Firefox’s parser API. Is there any chance that this kind of API will make it into Harmony? It would be really useful for a variety of generative/meta-programming tasks.

I'm interested in this too, for a number of applications, but I keep
getting stuck on one thing.

Would you standardize the resulting parse tree, too?  That would
probably mean that every engine would have two parsers, since I'm sure
we produce different parse trees right now, and wouldn't want to lock
down our parser mechanics for all time.

If you don't standardize the parse tree, is it still useful?  More
useful than just using narcissus or whatever other parsing libraries
exist?

Mike