block-lambda revival

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Jun 27 10:47:50 PDT 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Lasse Reichstein wrote:

> I guess the summary would be: I don't think Tennent's principle of abstraction can be meaningfully applied to control flow when your abstraction can survive the control flow that created it.

The success of such an abstraction for building control flow abstractions in Smalltalk is a good demonstration that, in practice, your conclusion is not universally true.

For a view of the early origins of this see  "Building Control Structures in the Smalltalk-80 System" By L. Peter Deutsch in the PDF at  http://www.em.net/portfolio/2010/08/smalltalk_in_byte_magazine.html  starting at page 125 of the PDF. But be warned that some of this goes beyond what the use of block-lamda's and is not totally relevant. Early Smalltalk blocks weren't true closures but over time they became so.

Allen