Making "super" work outside a literal?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Jun 25 10:10:34 PDT 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> If there was a mechanism for lexically addressing this, I would expect |super| to track |this| in parallel.  From a value perspective, |super| is just a synonym for |this|.

This is an important point, although what is a non-value perspective in JS? There are no explicit types. The answer must be an implicit type, the superclass view provided by the [[Prototype]] of the class prototype or ad-hoc containing object in which the method using 'super' was written.

Just a +1 here, and a request to make the proposal language support this as clearly (and up-front in the page) as possible.