Making "super" work outside a literal?

Sean Eagan seaneagan1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:00:25 PDT 2011

Ok, sorry it took me so long, but I agree that the general idea of
Object.defineMethod is the best solution.  I think it can be improved
upon though, by adding the following:

Ability to use any property descriptor attributes when defining methods.
Ability to assign accessor getters and setters as well which use the
assigned to object as |super|.
Avoid having to add a "defineMethod" proxy trap.

Here are the two potential solutions I have in mind for this:

* Have Object.defineProperty create new functions with updated
[[Super]] when the "value", "get", or "set" attributes are functions
that use super.

* Add an Object.defineSuperProperty which is the same as the existing
Object.defineProperty except that it creates new functions with
updated [[Super]] when the "value", "get", or "set" attributes are
functions that use super.  It could potentially throw if no super
functions are passed.  This one may still require a
"defineSuperProperty" proxy trap, not sure.

Also, I wonder if there is a need for a Function.prototype.isSuper
similar to Function.prototype.isGenerator?

--
Sean Eagan