Making "super" work outside a literal?

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Thu Jun 23 04:31:43 PDT 2011

> This is entirely beside the point.
>
> Dynamic |super| as Sean proposes requires *every call site* to pass the |here| parameter or something derived from it, no way around that.
>
> Paying for 'super' if you use it, buying by the yard, is not a problem.
>
> Making *every function call* in the language slow, increasing register pressure, etc. -- absent aggressive inference to identify callees and specialize call sites to them (inlining VMs do this but it can backfire, so there will be a default case that can't do this) -- is a big problem.

I believe you about the dynamic super. I can summarize my question as follows:
- Making "super" or "current object" available to a function incurs costs.
- Making "current function" available to a function does not incur costs? This is *not* an extra parameter, then?

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

axel at rauschma.de
twitter.com/rauschma