Making "super" work outside a literal?

Sean Eagan seaneagan1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 09:01:03 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Functions have static scope (see the [[Scope]] internal property). This is absolute and with very good reason!

Yes, functions have static scope, but functions (and all objects) do
not have static owning objects, they are free to be passed around and
assigned as desired, this is what a static super breaks.

> Your proposal requires another (implicit) parameter to functions taking super.
>
> Since we do not know at the call site whether a function takes super, it requires an extra parameter for every call. This costs too much.

Its value is already resolved via prototype climbing,  I don't see the
tremendous cost is simply making this value accessible within the
function activation which occurs as a result of the prototype
climbing.

> /be

Cheers,
Sean Eagan